[AMRadio] IARU Band Plan

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 14 15:07:15 EDT 2007

I sent the following message to the IARU officers about their latest,
"not-so-brilliant" plan to restructure the bands by signal bandwidth
(again)

The SAME kind of ridiculous plan that ARRL just tried and had
to back away from after the vast majority of radio amateurs were
up in arms about it. After trying unsuccessfully to push this
poson onto the U.S. amateur population, it looks like the
same forces  are trying a slightly different route now.

= = =

Sent to:
ve2ka at iaru.org, co2rp at jovenclub.cu, gudiel at comtelsa.com,
pt2adm at pobox.com, lu2ah at szama.com, LPrice at iaru.org,
tellam at iaru.org, rleandro at cantv.net, dsumner at arrl.org,
iaru at iaru.org, leandror at bellsouth.net, w6rod at iaru.org,
hp1dj at sinfo.net, 9y4ned at tstt.net, 9y4ned at tstt.net.tt

Dear IARU Officer -

I see that the IARU has adopted, effective Jan 1 2008, a new
"MF/HF Band Plan" for Region 2 that places restrictive limitations on
transmitted signal bandwidths and overlooks the commonly used modes
and practices on the bands 160 - 10m. I am VERY much against such limits.

Tight regulation and restrictions like these go completely against the
experimental and innovative aspects of amateur radio.  As a licensed radio
amateur, I urge you to stop this plan from going into effect.

I understand that it is a voluntary plan, but because it does not match
common practice on the bands today it will be ignored by thousands of
operators. Of particular concern to me, is the sudden and completely
un-necessary changes required of stations operating in the AM mode
with carrier and DSB modulation, enjoyed by thousands of  amateur
stations worldwide.

Why make a plan that impinges so greatly on the present reality?

But, voluntary or not, my position remains that the plan is defective.
Bandplans like this have a history of increasing the stress among
amateurs with arguments and finger-pointing.  Voluntary plans
can tend to become ever more "official" over time, so I think it is
vital that  we not err on the side of restriction and limitation which
could hinder our present and future communication options.

Brian Carling
Amateur Radio Licensee, AF4K, G3XLQ