[AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Sun Oct 14 19:57:12 EDT 2007

There was no formal discussions at any of the Director meetings (in
looking over the meeting minutes) over the last several years on the IARU
activities for a new band plan. However, it's not inconceivable to
believe that there might have been informal non-binding type discussions
over lunch, dinner, or at the water cooler. The Directors had to have
some idea that things were underfoot at the International level. However,
given that some of these countries in Region 2 already have bandwidth
restrictions on amateur radio modes, and some don't even recognize AM as
still an active mode, I don't find it difficult to understand how the
revised Region 2 band plan got so swayed not in the U. S. amateur's
favor. I also find it hard to believe that the FCC could be swayed by any
of these countries (who have considerably less amateurs then we do), to
institute a drastic change to our current rules and regulations. A number
of these countries don't have anything similar to a FCC type government
entity to administer any of their amatuer rules and regulations, and so
they look to the IARU for rule, regulation, and band plan guidance.

RM being pulled - I think you hit most of the reasons. Besides the
proposal, there were two addendum's, one of which had incorrect
information in it plus all the bad press and all the incorrect info
floating around on the web. I suspect that sometime in 2008, we'll see
another proposal being submitted to the FCC that will build on the  IARU
band plans but will be tailored and adjusted more specifically to U. S.
amateur interests. Given that the ARRL now has a wealth of feedback from
the RM-11306 proposal, they will hopefully not try to repeat the same
mistakes they made the first time.

Pete, wa2cwa