[AMRadio] Re: IARU Band Plan and Power Limit Issues

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Oct 15 00:02:03 EDT 2007

> From: Larry Will <lhwill at verizon.net>

This is a little off-topic from the band plan issue, but you brought up some
points worthy of discussion, particularly since so many amateurs who have
become licensed since 1990 are likely to be completely unaware of the
fraudulent tactics used by FCC rulemakers in the proceeding that created the
current power output rules.

> b: As to AM go back and read the articles in ER in the first
> year.  You'll find the ARRL tried to save the 750 watts carrier
> output when the Grandfather clause was sunsetting in 1989-90 and that
> another article by a gentleman who talked with several staffers in
> the FCC, the staff was (1) worried about TVI and Hi-Fi IX and
> telephone IX and was convinced that lower AM power was needed

They were talking out of both sides of their mouth, and putting their own
deceptive spin on the issue.  The original power limit docket proposal
specifically stated that "Our intent is not to change the actual power
levels that amateurs use, but to improve the method of power measurement."
In an interview with an FCC lawyer, published in CQ magazine a few months
before the power limit docket was released, he said that the old DC input
standard "was not so much a problem, but an embarrassement" to the FCC
because the method was "archaic".

And you brought up a more fundamental question.  Is the purpose of a legal
power limit to protect other licensed users who share spectrum on and in the
vicinity of the authorised transmit frequency, or is it to protect devices
that happen to be physically located near a clean transmitter whose spurious
emissions are well within the bounds of good engineering design, i.e. to
protect devices that inadvertently act as radio receivers due to design
deficiencies?

To phrase it more bluntly, should our power limit be further limited to
accomodate consumer electronics manufacturers who are too cheap to spend a
few extra pennies per unit to make their products immune to rfi from signals
that lie outside their intended operating range?

>and (2)
> they only had equipment to measure PEP and they (The FCC) wanted to
> not have a different standard for different types of emissions in the
> amateur service.  The FCC had selfish internal interests to make a
> uniform power output standard.

A bogus argument.  It's absurd to say that FCC inspection personnel had only
equipment available to measure PEP.  They had stated repeatedly that their
standard measuring instrument for station inspections was a Bird 43
wattmeter - an average indicating instrument that can measure PEP only with
a special add-on attachment. Their inspectors measure average carrier power
output, not PEP, from AM broadcast stations, so how could it be so difficult
to take similar measurements from an amateur station?

The Canadian  regulations are shorter in length than ours, yet they were
able to word  their power rule in such a manner as to include a separate
measurement standard for carrier modes like AM and non-carrier modes like
SSB.  Does that mean  that Canadians are supposed to somehow be smarter than
United States-ese?

Don, k4kyv