[AMRadio] VFO vs XTAL

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Wed Oct 17 21:17:26 EDT 2007

That what I think too, Geoff.  I'm driving or was trying to drive the GE
BT-20-A.  I think I must have VFO problems.  I fed it directly into the grid
of the buffer and it barely produced enough drive to register.  I am in the
midst of double checking the buffer stage to be sure I haven't overlooked
something.

Thanks,
Rick

What rig is this in, Rick?  MAn, the Viking 122 VFO, at least on the
Viking II, has -plenty- of drive!

I keep my grid drive control down, on 80m, around 2.5 or 3 on the knob.
That gives me around 7.5mA of grid drive for the pair of 6146's (yeah,
Ellen - I've been meaning to send you that correction - Johnson says a
single 6146 needs no more than 2.5mA of grid drive, the pair in the
Viking II needs 7.5mA of grid drive, and I'm guessing (someone tell me
for sure) that the Valiant, with it's (3) 6146's needs around 10mA of
grid drive?) and if I crank the knob up to around 5 or 6, then I've in
excess of 10mA of grid drive on the pair of 6146's.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR