[AMRadio] Re: Hamfests

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:57:05 EDT 2007

On 10/19/07, david knepper <collinsradio at comcast.net> wrote:
> I noticed that too - it's called tolerance.

I've noticed that most folks seem to be quite tolerant, even
understanding of those who have a legitimate need for such things. It
has more to do with those who don't, who are either too lazy or in a
big hurry (greedy?) to beat other to some perceived deal.

Think for just a second of what it would be like if even 50% of the
people at Dayton, or any other hamfest, used scooters, bikes, whatever
else. Then try to imagine how long it would take to get through the
place, or to get close enough to a table to look at something.

At Dayton, I saw a guy roll over someone's foot in an attempt to rush
to a table where he thought he saw something valuable. When he'd
gotten as close as he could, he jumped off and trotted around the edge
of the group looking at stuff. As he did so, the guy who's foot had
been run down said something, to which the guy issued deeply genuine*
'sorry'  and continued on. I wonder how tolerant you would have been
with such a selfish, inconsiderate individual? My urge was to smack
the guy, but I'm not terribly tolerant in such situations.

In my opinion, he biggest problem caused by those who don't need to
use these things is the negative impact it brings to those with a real
need (as in 'they have no other way to get around'). Not unlike the
feeling of suspicion cast on immigrants who followed the rules and
came here legally by those who do not, welfare abusers vs those with a
real need, and so on.

Tolerance, like anything else, should always be applied with an equal
amount of common sense. Otherwise it because nothing more than
tolerance for the sake of saying so, a.k.a 'political correctness'. AM
and amateur radio in general would benefit greatly from more
reasonable applications of both.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

*saracsm