[AMRadio] Re: Hamfests

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Oct 19 11:04:20 EDT 2007

Years ago, one of the best hamfests in the region was in Cincinnati, about
the third week in September.  A trip to that hamfest would often yield more
goodies than one to Dayton.  The entrance fee was expensive for the time,
about $6, but a valid ticket included unlimited access to draft Hudepohl
beer from any one of several stands they had set up in the flea market.

It was called the Cincinnati Stag Hamfest.  No women were allowed.  The idea
was that the guys could attend their hamfest without having to drag their
wives along.

The problem I had with it was, what about females were licensed hams or who
had a genuine interest in ham  radio?

They dropped the "stag" feature about the time the woman's movement began to
get attention in the late 60's.  It remained an excellent hamfest at the old
Stricker's Grove site, but that place was redeveloped, and Stricker's Grove
was moved to some location way outside the city.  The hamfest was never the
same, and began to be a greater disappointment every year, until I stopped
going because it wasn't worth the 300 mile drive each way.  I understand it
has moved to a different location now and has dwindled to an insignificant
local event.

Don k4kyv