[AMRadio] Ham Fests

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Fri Oct 19 11:58:32 EDT 2007

My wife becoming a ham? hi! She has a hard time with Satellite TV and has
absolutely no interest in radios, transmitters, hams, etc.
I wasn't trying to bash woman, far from it, just that I believe the average
woman likes ham fests about as much as I would like to attend a makeup fest.
I realize there are female hams but I'd be willing to bet they like radios
better than flea market stuff at ham fests also. Ham = radio, transmitter,
not dishes, lawn ornaments etc. If I walk into a ham fest that looks like a
flea market I'll take a quick walk around and probably leave whether I buy
something or not. The atmosphere at the NEAR fest despite the rain was very
inviting for the average ham I would say, especially boatanchor devotees and
I was too broke to buy anything of any value except for a nice D-104 mic,
but I stayed all day and enjoyed myself.
If this sounds sexist, I'm sorry, I'm just stating an overwhelming fact, ham
radio and crawling under your car are two things 99% of women would probably
rather avoid doing (understatement), so why try to gender neutral the fests?
(how's that for politically correct, hi!)  It would just drive away many
hams and I doubt woman would be crawling over each other to get in anyway.
This is why me and my wife have the deal in that she can accompany me as
long as she doesn't B****, I know she hates them as much as I would have
hated the makep party she attended last week, but it is her choice to attend
so I bring her.

Bob
KB1OKL