[AMRadio] Re: Hamfests (Tolerance of scooters)

W4AWM at aol.com W4AWM at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 00:18:41 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

The folks I am talking about banning from hamfest use of scooters are various
dealers and a few others that we all know around here.  They are constantly
zipping around the fests with sometimes little regard for the safety of others.
I have been around long enough to be able to tell when someone really needs a
scooter, and by the way, these folks that need them are either on a 3 wheeler
or in a motorized wheel chair. Of one of those folks gets out of a chair or
off a 3 wheeler and walks around, I have no problem at all with that.  I am
talking about the 2 wheel scooters and motor powered bicycles that few in need
folks would ever be able to ride, and even if they could, they would not be
riding them in the manner described above.

I am afraid that one day, someone is going to get hurt by one of these OTHER
folks and a lawsuit will ensue. That would be the end of hamfests around here,
or at least wind up with the knee jerk reaction of banning ALL wheeled
vehicles regardless of the health condition of the user.

Another thing is that most hamfests allow the free movement of cars and
trucks during the hamfest. If you have ever been to Dayton, you know that on the
days that the grounds are open to hamfest goers, movement of 99% of all vehicles
is totally banned during hamfest hours. If you have a flea market spot, you
had better be in your spot by the given time and be prepeared to stay there
until the gates close. Emergencies are handled on a case by case basis, but if
the same person states that he or she has an emergency too often, they are going
to get kicked out or refused permission to move at the least. Scooters and
such are banned except for actual medical need during show hours and as far as I
am concerned, should be banned at all times.

73,

 John,  W4AWM