[AMRadio] 6146Bs in Globe rigs?

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 20 10:06:46 EDT 2007

Hi Everybody,

The 6146 final in my Globe Scout 680 is toast (it won't even dip or load anymore). I don't have any spare 6146s or 6146As, but I do have a couple of Chinese 6146Ws (today's 6146W is rougly equivalent to a 6146B) lying around, collecting dust (my Kenwood TS-820 didn't like them, so I had to put in a set of NOS Phillips 6146Bs in it instead), that I wouldn't mind putting to use.  But, as you know, using a 6146B in a 6146/6146A rig can be a dicey affair.  Some 6146/6146A rigs have no problem with the tube, other rigs (especially certain Collins and Heathkit radios) can have bigtime problems with the 6146B (such as not neutralizing out, or suffering runaway parasitics that can nuke them out).  I have no data on how well Globes (especially my Scout 680) handle the 6146B.  Does anybody have this info.?  I'd sure hate to find out the hard way (while trying to neutralize one of my 6146Ws), that Globes don't take too kindly to the 6146B/614W.

73,
Ellen - AF9J