[AMRadio] Re: future of AM radio

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Sun Oct 21 05:58:14 EDT 2007

I'm not sure where you live Steve, but here in MA I nightly get co-channel
interference big time, for example I can't listen to WSM anymore on 650
because of WFAN NY which on most nights completely covers it up, WOR 710
kills two channels, as does WLW 700 which effectively kills three channels
(they cover each other up many nights) and there are very few IBOC AM
stations on at night at this point, in fact some such as Citadel
Broadcasting which owned 15% of the AM IBOC stations have shut it down
because of interference problems, I could go on and on but I won't. IBOC is
one of the worst examples of FCC sanctioned harmful interference ever
concocted and it is worse than BPL because there is no organized opposition
yet and the rollout has been sneaky, it will kill the AM and FM BCB bands
not help, and the radios are selling like lead balloons. If IBOC is ever
deployed widespread at night on AM all you will hear is a loud whooshing
noise from one end of the band to the other unless you happen to live near a
50 KW station and then at least, you may get one. There will be no AM band
left, digital needs it's own spectrum and a new system if it is ever to
succeed. A non-monoploy might help also, a little competition perhaps may
have killed this noise maker. On FM the range has been cut down severely and
the channels which are erroneously referred to as "channels between your
other channels" are usually third rate throw aways such as the polka channel
etc. What this is doing to broadcast radio is a shame.
Hey at least iBiquity will be laughing all the way to the bank until there
are no more fees to be collected because everyone has shifted to internet
radio because of the noise, this FCC we have should be run out of town on a
rail along with their rich buddies who own the big companies.

Bob
KB1OKL