[AMRadio] Re: future of AM radio

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Sun Oct 21 18:40:30 EDT 2007

I do not wish to start a debate on iBlock, but I was not writing as a DXer I
was writing as someone who gets into his car at night and COULD listen to
WSM 650 easily in MA before IBOC whooshed right over it almost every night,
I am talking about the average listener who is losing the ability to hear
many many stations because of a an absolutely flawed system which takes up
30 Khz of band space in a medium where 10 Khz is supposed to be the
bandwidth and is harmful interference according to the FCC's own rules which
they are absolutely not enforcing here as in BPL, and the massacre is only
beginning as less than 5% of all AM stations are broadcasting at night with
Hybrid Digital. HD or Hybrid Digital as it is properly known is an absolute
waste of time and if it is not scrapped soon will seal terrestrial radio's
fate.
My 1997 Buick with a stock radio has plenty enough selectivity to easily get
an adjacent channel, I can even get KDKA 1020 when WBZ 1030's iBlock is off
, WBZ is less than 50 miles from me. (they have been testing it lately at
night). The only people who love iBlock are iBiquity and the stations who
think it is a panacea for decades of lousy programming. There have been
nights when WLW Cincinnatti's iBlock noise (1000 miles) from here has
covered WOR's signal (200 miles from here) here in MA depending on
propagation, some nights they jam each other and on real special nights we
have Chicago 720, WOR 710 and WLW 700 all buzzing each other into oblivion.
If this system is deployed full force we will only be able to receive our
local 50 KW stations, great system iBiquity thought off and which the FCC is
allowing (which is also allowing BPL). AM BCB band stations easily and
routinely travel 1000 miles at night with skywave, you think stations with
30 Khz bandwidths are going to co-exist peacefully on a band where there is
a station every 10 Khz? If they ever cut down to 10 Khz and just broadcast a
digital signal that means that ALL AM BCB radios will be obsolete including
the BCB bands on our beloved boatanchors.
I infer from your comment that iBlock will cut a great swath through the AM
band? That means that Hybrid Digital stations are going to rid the band of
all the stations that you feel are clogging up the band? I have wondered if
this was a conspiracy from the very beginning to tell you the truth, and
your comment further cemented that feeling which is widely shared BTW in the
broadcast community. Incidentally I have heard and read that Citadel did
away with IBOC because of interference.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/abc-citadel-suspends-am-iboc.html

Bob
KB1OKL