[AMRadio] Followup on IARU bandplan

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 21:14:43 EDT 2007

I've been corresponding gently and respectfully with League and IARU
officials (sometimes of course they are the same) in opposition to the  new "band
plan" that places restrictive limitations on transmitted signal bandwidths on the
bands 160 - 10m.  I've also compared notes with friends who are doing the
same.

A couple main themes have emerged...

The typical response from these officials has been defensiveness and
condescension.  They would prefer that we just ignore the bandplan because it is
"voluntary", because we "don't understand the purpose", because it is "really meant
for other countries in Region 2", or (believe it or not) "the new plan is not
restrictive in nature"(?).

Also, putting all the responses together seems to confirm that, in spite of
their protests to the contrary, the ARRL representatives at the IARU conference
argued for the tightening-up of the bandwidth and mode limitations.  One IARU
rep said, "That was an ARRL suggestion. They were worried that some people
were using quite wider (bandwidths)."

Interestingly, responses to our messages to ARRL Directors and Vice-Directors
have been either non-existent, or demonstrate complete ignorance of the
issue.

I urge everyone to contact your ARRL Directors and Vice-Directors (see
http://www.arrl.org/divisions/ )  and educate them about what is happening at the
IARU.

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS

Fitchburg, Wisconsin.