[AMRadio] Johnson Valiant Audio Driver Xfmr - Wake Up Call

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 22:01:25 EDT 2007

Someone mentioned using the driver transformer from a Viking 11. It may work
ok if there is enough audio from the driver. The difference is that in the
Viking 11 the 807 modulators run AB2 and draw some grid current on peaks.
This requires a low impedance drive source so the driver transformer in
there is a (if I remember right) 3:1 step down transformer to provide a
somewhat low impedance source at the modulator grids.

6146 modulators are usually run in class AB1 because they will produce
almost maximum power in AB1 compared to AB2. The 807 must be run into AB2 to
get much power out of it. So, the AB1 6146's are usually fed with a step up
transformer rather than a step down transformer to increase the drive
voltage. Less power is needed from the modulator driver tube as no current
needs to be supplied, only voltage to the 6146 grids.

Someone also mentioned using a 12AT7 phase splitter in place of a driver
transformer. This works well with the 6146,s as only voltage is needed to
drive the grids. It will not work in a Viking 11 where grid current is drawn
as the 12AT7 is a high impedance source. Bias is supplied to the 6146 grids
thru high value resistors.

73
Gary  K4FMX