[AMRadio] Followup on IARU bandplan

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 23:45:21 EDT 2007

Excellent idea, Ron.  I hope they take you up on the offer.

I especially enjoyed your point, "QST is in business to sell advertising and
to promulgate any initiative which increases advertising revenue regardless of
how it affects the membership."

I wonder how many people noticed the "fake article" advertisement in a recent
QST...  here's a recent discussions about it...

- - - - - - - -
Good Morning -

On page 29 of the October, 2007, QST, I was disappointed to see a
Kenwood advertisement deliberately made to appear to be a QST feature
article.  The layout, font choices, even the use of a large, colored
drop-cap character at the start of the story - all were aimed at
misleading the reader into thinking the page is a QST article rather
than an advertisement.

This old trick is unworthy of QST.

Steve WD8DAS
- - - - - - - -

To which Debra Jahnke of QST responded:

>I am sorry that you were unhappy with the Kenwood advertorial.
>As you know, an advertorial is an advertisement designed to
>simulate editorial content, while at the same time offering valid
>information to prospective buyers, and is an accepted advertising
>practice. Our internal rules dictate the company uses their full
>logo and their contact information in addition to the word
>“Advertising” on the page. Most mainstream magazine
>advertorial rules are not as stringent.

That is fine for mainstream magazines.  But  QST has more at stake as the
journal of the ARRL.  Over the years extensive efforts have been made to ensure
fairness and truth in the reviews of amateur equipment in QST, hopefully
unbiased by corporate pressure or propaganda,  and this sort of deliberately
misleading advertising un-does all that work.  It introduces a question in the mind
of the members and readers:  "Is this article or review really unbiased?"  Or,
"is it just a paid advertisement or press release piece?"

>However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding
>this form of advertising

Actually, as a long-time member of the ARRL I hope I am entitled to a bit
more than just my opinion.  -grin-  I expect my views to be considered in the
policies of the league and its publications.

Thanks for your response...

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS