[AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Oct 24 16:20:22 EDT 2007

Steve, I don't feel this topic is inappropriate.  It is a subject that
encompasses Amateur Radio and, more importantly, our operating.

I looked at the recent band plan and am a bit disturbed by how they wish
to segment our bands and did not make a specific reference to AM except
on 10 meters.  What is even more scary is that this may become fodder
for someone to petition the FCC to make these changes to our bands.
There is a lot of emphasis on QRP and CW in the plan.

Even though the FCC has never followed them, some time back and
enforcement letter was mistakenly sent to a couple of SSB stations
operating in the low part of 160 meters.  Some CW guys filed a complaint
that generated the action, even though that action was inappropriate.

These kinds of documents lead some to believe they are gospel and will
harass others who do not follow them willingly.  I applaud Ron's action
which I hope is a wake up call to members of the staff of the ARRL to
let them know that the ordinary Amateur, who is not a member, will not
stand idly by while they advance an unpopular proposal.

Jim/W5JO