[AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Wed Oct 24 17:00:47 EDT 2007

I had a chance to speak briefly with Paul Rinaldo about this this pas Saturday (10/20/2007).

As some of you may know, I have been a member of Amrad for about ten years, and Paul R. is president of that club.  I don't know
what he does over in Switzerland, but it seems to me that he is always looking for things to justify and support the continued
existance of amateur radio in that political arena.  The senior members of the club agree that it's not a picnic or a party over
there, and it seems that Paul spends a lot of time with that.

I have chatted with Paul over the years, and I told him once that darn, I was one of the AMers, etc.  We have friendly relations,
I've been to his home a few times, etc.  I've written a few articles in the Amrad journal, and we see the Amrad guys frequently at
Spacequest.  They were instrumental in the construction and success of the AO27 satellite back in the early 90s, which was many
years before my time here, and they have helped with several other birds.  AM usually doesn't come up; there is one long-time
broadcast engineer who has done lots of AM work over the years; a few members poo-poo it; others are slightly interested; etc.  They
are doing other things like LF, DSP, mobile emergency preparedness communications work, etc.

OK.  So I broached the subject with Paul, and I could see that it was a sore spot.  I said look, I know how hard you work for
amateur radio, you know I'm not here to beat you up.  Paul was adamant that this ITU thing means nothing, and that nothing would
change, etc.  My point was that AM required that we get our hands on this equipment and make it work, and in the process we learn
many things, and anything that makes people learn about radio is good.  Paul knows only too well about dumbing down of amateur
radio.

He heard me; I just hope it meant to him what it meant to me.  And I hope he is right, that it will not change anything, because the
wording that I see is somewhat ominous.  I certainly don't want the FCC bothering us for having two sidebands, and sounding too
good.  I don't think the FCC wants that either.

   Bacon, WA3WDR