[AMRadio] Re: IARU Region 2 MF/HF Band Plan

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 11:06:53 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Bob Macklin <macklinbob at msn.com> wrote:

>  We don't need broadcast quality audio for our phone
> operations.

With all due respect, Bob, it's not up to you or I to decide what
AMers or SSB ops 'need' for phone operations. I think most would agree
that congested band conditions require a different approach, but I see
no issue with folks experimenting with fuller audio when conditions
permit. We're speaking about amateur radio here, not commercial
standards. I think the FCC rules are appropriate as they relate to
good practice and so on, RF output, audio, or otherwise. Other than
the ridiculous PEP re-write, of course. A clear example of why you
don't want the rules messed with.

> If the SSB people don't like ths sound of Donald Duck they should switch to
> AM.

That's more a function of where you have the signal tuned in, rather
than their bandwidth.

> One reall advantage of AM is you don't have to continiously be tweaking the
> tuning knob the make the other guy understandable. A few hundred Hz drift
> does not bother AM!

True enough, but there are many others as well. The ability to design,
build, and operate a transmitter or receiver built for AM teaches or
reinforces good, basic electronic theory and practices. You can
actually tune and adjust your transmitter instead of simply pushing
the power and processor buttons.

As soon as you allow someone else's view of what you need to regulate
your use, you give up far more than you gain. It's not like our ranks
are swelling at any great rate, more that a number of groups are
determined to occupy a small number of frequencies that they feel
ownership of. Get away from the old habits and hangouts, and you find
plenty of open space to stretch out and enjoy. It does require some
tuning and imagination, of course.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ