[AMRadio] Rinaldo sore about AM?

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Thu Oct 25 12:26:32 EDT 2007

I have written to Ramon directly via e-mail a few times in the past few
days, here are his first and second responses:
(sorry about the long messages)

(I have just questioned him on the lower bands we use here [160, 75 and
40M], he hasn't replied yet, I'll also post that.)

Bob
KB1OKL

#2 response:

Hello Bob,

About the bandwidth there is also a big misunderstanding.

If you look carefully at the band plan there is an asterisk (*) after the
2700 on the 40, 20 and 10 meter segments where we are suggesting AM.
At the bottom of the band plan there is a foot note about it that reads:

*) DSB AM phone allowed in this segment with a maximum bandwidth of 6 kHz.

That has been there since we put the plan on the net but people seems not to
read it carefully. You can review the band pan here:
http://www.iaru-r2.org/wp-content/uploads/region-2-mf-hf-bandplan-e.pdf

There may be the case of someone wanting to use more bandwidth.  We feel 6
kHz is what is need it for DSB AM.  Same thing happens with power usually
the administrations will allow 1.5 kilowatts but some people want more.
There should be a reasonable limit in the benefit of the rest. I hope you
get my point.

Fine about Peru, it is a beautiful country indeed. Cuzco and Machu Pichu are
one of its kind and not to mention the delicious Ceviche and the colorful
Inca Cola.

Thanks for your interest in the band plan.  If there are more questions to
answer for you or your fellow AMers please let me know.

73,

Ramon Santoyo V., XE1KK (also WT2T and VA7UU)
Secretary - IARU Region 2
www.iaru-r2.org

#1 response:

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your email.  I will try to explain what we do at IARU Region 2
with the band plan.

1) The IARU Region 2 band plan is a guide to Member Societies and operators
in this region which consists of North, South and Central America.

2) The band plan tries to harmonize the use of the bands between different
countries and with the rest of the world (Region 1 and Region 3). In Brazil,
when we work on this one, 20 countries participate on making it.

3) The band plan it's *NOT* mandatory. Local administrations (FCC for you,
COFETEL for me, Industry Canada for the Canadians, etc.) give their amateurs
their own band plan and *that is the one you have to follow*. What the IARU
Region 2 tries is to harmonize the use of the bands between different
countries and with the rest of the world so your administration won't do
something absolutely opposed to what other will do or vice versa.  This is
why the IARU Region 2 Band Plan is important.

4) There has never been an AM calling window for 40, 80 or 160m on IARU
Region 2 band plan. Please visit and review the current band plan, good
since 1998, at:
http://www.iaru-regionii.org/Region_2_HF_Band_Plan.html  I guess you are
looking in the FCC band plan which is the one you have to follow, but not
the rest of us.

5) In the new IARU Region 2 band plan there are windows for AM on 40, 20 and
10 meters because, as you very well say so, there are AM operators and we
are aware of that (I am one of them!). From my personal perspective the
situation of AM operator is better now that it was in the past for countries
in IARU Region 2.  You can review the new band plan here:
http://www.iaru-r2.org/wp-content/uploads/region-2-mf-hf-bandplan-e.pdf

6) There are 3 centers of activity for emergencies on the 40 meter band
because not all countries can operate in the same segments.  I suggest you
wait to see if the FCC decides to have a new band plan and if they decide to
use all, some or none of the suggested frequencies.  In the past you in the
US have had different emergency frequencies that the rest of the continent
so I think is better to wait and see what the FCC decides.

Please let me know if this clarifies why the band plan is like it is.  If
not I will be happy to answer your questions.

In the mean time I hope to work you on AM.  I am active on 10 AM on some
weekends and I have proudly worked all continents on that mode. Conditions
on 10 are coming back so one day we may QSO.