[AMRadio] I ntolerance (was: IARU bandplan)

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Thu Oct 25 13:26:57 EDT 2007

I agree that those of us that have the test equipment are in the minority.
Do the schools even teach about this stuff anymore? Everyone seems to be
learning about computers, not communication stuff. We may be heading for a
shortage of broadcast engineers. And it looks like everything in that
industry may be headed digital. Are the transmitters actually digital? You
can't add digital signals together like you can analog. You have to time
multiplex them.

I do have fairly comprhensive test bench/lab. But mostly old tube
instruments. That's what we used 50 years ago. That's what I stiil use.

But one thing I did not have then is a wide band scope. 5MHz was the bet I
had. Now i have a 40MHz and am looking to buy a Tek 100MHz or better. You
can get a working Tek 454 or 475 on ebay fro $100 or less.

In the early days we used a GDO or a wavemeter to check RF output. We had no
isea what it looked like. The scopes we had then were limited to seeing what
the modulation looked like. And we did not have SPECTRUM ANALYZERS!

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"