[AMRadio] Build a rig

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Thu Oct 25 16:10:45 EDT 2007

My only reason to belong to the ARRL would be to get QST. I used to buy it
occasionally when there was something that got my interest.

But I am not a CONTESTER! There is only an occasional article in QST that
interests. The rest is contest news and advertizing. I can read it for FREE
at my local library and make copies of anything that interests me.

I do have a solid state SSB project on the bench right now. I work on it
when I have the money to buy the parts for the next stage.

I had a good surprize last month. I found out there aer small air trimmer
caps available. Also small cermaic trimmer caps. Being in digital stuff from
the mid 70's until the late 90's I had lost track of what was available for
the analog world.

Now can we build a pre-selector using VARACTORS for tuning since I have not
found any small multisection variable capacitors.

The Elcraft rigs use miniture relays to do the front end bandswitching
rather than a mechanical band switch. This is done using latching relays so
power is only on the relay to change it's state.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"