[AMRadio] Re: IARU Band Plan

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Oct 27 12:39:11 EDT 2007

> PLEASE!!!!!  Enough of this.  My mailbox has been jammed for 3 days!  Just
> let the issue die or discuss it direct.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> John,  W4AWM

Doesn't your e-mail program have a "delete" button?

I opted for the "Digest" mode for all my e-mailing lists to avoid clogging
my inbox.  If I received every message on every list separately, I would
literally have hundreds of e-mails to sift through every day.  As it is, I
just click on the Digest, look at the topics list, read the ones that
interest me, and when I finish, I delete the whole digest.  Sometimes I
delete the whole digest without reading anything and other times I read
every message, depending on the topics being discussed.  Depending on the
amount of traffic, I may receive one digest per day or sometimes several,
but rarely more than four or five.  During quiet periods I may not even
receive a digest on some days.

The disadvantage of the Digest mode is that I don't see messages instantly
as soon as they are posted. The Digest goes out after enough messages have
accumulated to fill it, or after a certain period of time  has passed.  Some
digests may arrive with over a dozen messages, and at times, others may
contain only one message.  But the delay, which never exceeds 24 hours, is
worth the benefit of not having to deal with each and every message posted
as a separate e-mail.

Public, open-forum discussion of this issue by the AM community, mainly over
the internet via this reflector and on the AM Forum, plus some discussion on
QRZ.com, have already resulted in enough correspondence from the ham
community that IARU has added new "AM segments" to the band plan on 40m and
20m.

This type of discussion is precisely what these mailing lists are for.

Don, k4kyv