[AMRadio] Re: AMRadio Digest, Vol 45, Issue 66


D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Oct 27 12:19:48 EDT 2007


_______________________________________________________________

This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <amradio-request at mailman.qth.net>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, 25 October, 2007 03:01
Subject: AMRadio Digest, Vol 45, Issue 66


> Send AMRadio mailing list submissions to
> amradio at mailman.qth.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> amradio-request at mailman.qth.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> amradio-owner at mailman.qth.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of AMRadio digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: AM vs SSB! (Peter Markavage)
>   2. Re: Re:  IARU bandplan (W4AWM at aol.com)
>   3. Re: AM vs SSB! (Bob Macklin)
>   4. Re: Re: GB> Re:  IARU bandplan (sbjohnston at aol.com)
>   5. Re: Re:  IARU bandplan (sbjohnston at aol.com)
>   6. Re: Re: GB> Re:  IARU bandplan (Bob Macklin)
>   7. Re:  IARU bandplan (sbjohnston at aol.com)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:44:00 -0400
> From: Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM vs SSB!
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Message-ID: <20071024.224401.2820.1.manualman at juno.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> And it was at the peak of the largest solar cycle on record.
>
> Pete, wa2cwa
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:07:14 -0700 "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
> writes:
>> One of the primary thing that caused SSB to take over as the main
>> mode of phone operation was the hetrodyning caused by AM when the
>> bands were busy. And in 1957 and 58 the bands were very busy every
>> night! And at times they were very noisy.
>>
>> SSB solved 2 problems. A given QSO only took 1/2 the space and the
>> hetrodynes were eliminated.
>>
>> Unless the bands are very crowed, AM at 6KHz (KC/S) is really not a
>> problem.
>>
>> Bob Macklin
>> K5MYJ
>> Seattle, Wa,
>> "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:34:09 EDT
> From: W4AWM at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re:  IARU bandplan
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Message-ID: <be9.2072e353.345168b1 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> PLEASE!!!!!  Enough of this.  My mailbox has been jammed for 3 days!  Just
> let the issue die or discuss it direct.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> John,  W4AWM
>
>
> **************************************
> See what's new at
> http://www.aol.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:57:17 -0700
> From: "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM vs SSB!
> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Message-ID: <BAY108-DAV770F19324BDC705620CBCC5950 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> And at that time I had a S-38 and a BC-312. Neither was worth a damn on 
> 75M
> at night. But I was able to use the S-38 for my Novice CW work on 40M at
> night. It was another 2 years before I got a decent receiver!
>
> Bob Macklin
> K5MYJ
> Seattle, Wa,
> "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Peter Markavage" <manualman at juno.com>
> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM vs SSB!
>
>
>> And it was at the peak of the largest solar cycle on record.
>>
>> Pete, wa2cwa
>>
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:07:14 -0700 "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
>> writes:
>> > One of the primary thing that caused SSB to take over as the main
>> > mode of phone operation was the hetrodyning caused by AM when the
>> > bands were busy. And in 1957 and 58 the bands were very busy every
>> > night! And at times they were very noisy.
>> >
>> > SSB solved 2 problems. A given QSO only took 1/2 the space and the
>> > hetrodynes were eliminated.
>> >
>> > Unless the bands are very crowed, AM at 6KHz (KC/S) is really not a
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Bob Macklin
>> > K5MYJ
>> > Seattle, Wa,
>> > "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
>> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:09:25 -0400
> From: sbjohnston at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: GB> Re:  IARU bandplan
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Message-ID: <8C9E4D3F73CF6F7-12C0-2421 at webmail-de11.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
>
>
> Geoff wrote:
>
>>Don/K4KYV runs a -great- signal at 3.1kc, when he's in the 'narrow'
> mode
>>with active and passive band-pass and band-width filters (homebrewed,
> of
>>course)
>
> I'm sure Don sounds great but isn't it the modulating audio that is
> being limited to 3.1 kHz?  That means the total bandwidth would be 6.2
> kHz plus.
>
>
> Steve WD8DAS
>
> sbjohnston at aol.com
> http://www.wd8das.net/
> ------------------------------------------------
> Radio is your best entertainment value.
> ------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________________
> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! -
> http://mail.aol.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:11:52 -0400
> From: sbjohnston at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re:  IARU bandplan
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Message-ID: <8C9E4D44E674608-12C0-2431 at webmail-de11.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
>
>>PLEASE!!!!!  Enough of this.  My mailbox has been jammed for 3 days!
> Just
>>let the issue die or discuss it direct.
>
> This reminds me of the old timer who interrupted a couple guys talking
> on a local 2m repeater to ask that they please stop talking because he
> was trying to sleep.
>
>
> Steve WD8DAS
>
> sbjohnston at aol.com
> http://www.wd8das.net/
> ------------------------------------------------
> Radio is your best entertainment value.
> ------------------------------------------------
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: W4AWM at aol.com
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Sent: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:34 pm
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re:  IARU bandplan
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> PLEASE!!!!!  Enough of this.  My mailbox has been jammed for 3 days!
> Just
> let the issue die or discuss it direct.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> John,  W4AWM
>
>
> **************************************
> See what's new at
> http://www.aol.com
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________________
> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! -
> http://mail.aol.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:15:47 -0700
> From: "Bob Macklin" <macklinbob at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: GB> Re:  IARU bandplan
> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Message-ID: <BAY108-DAV1408147CA99C6E98F477EAC5950 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> SSB with carrier (Vestigial Sideband) is only about 3KC wide. It works 
> just
> fine.
>
> Bob Macklin
> K5MYJ
> Seattle, Wa,
> "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: <sbjohnston at aol.com>
> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:09 PM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: GB> Re: IARU bandplan
>
>
>>
>>
>> Geoff wrote:
>>
>> >Don/K4KYV runs a -great- signal at 3.1kc, when he's in the 'narrow'
>> mode
>> >with active and passive band-pass and band-width filters (homebrewed,
>> of
>> >course)
>>
>> I'm sure Don sounds great but isn't it the modulating audio that is
>> being limited to 3.1 kHz?  That means the total bandwidth would be 6.2
>> kHz plus.
>>
>>
>> Steve WD8DAS
>>
>> sbjohnston at aol.com
>> http://www.wd8das.net/
>> ------------------------------------------------
>> Radio is your best entertainment value.
>> ------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________________________________________________
>> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! -
>> http://mail.aol.com
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
>> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:15:26 -0400
> From: sbjohnston at aol.com
> Subject: [AMRadio] Re:  IARU bandplan
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net, glowbugs at piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu
> Message-ID: <8C9E4D4CE0B95DF-12C0-2448 at webmail-de11.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
>
>
>>there are two bandplans posted out there,
>
> Interesting... and the later one, dated a couple weeks after we started
> contacting officials, is somewhat more liberal with AM...
>
> I'd say our efforts are beginning to have an effect.  Or they are
> putting some extra info out there to throw everyone off balance.
>
>
> Steve WD8DAS
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________________
> Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! -
> http://mail.aol.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> AMRadio mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>
>
> End of AMRadio Digest, Vol 45, Issue 66
> *************************************** 



More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 20 Oct 2017.