[AMRadio] Re: AM recognition in the IARU Band Plan

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Sat Oct 27 20:26:12 EDT 2007

I seriously doubt that the pricing of the amateur transceivers on the
market was driven up with the addition of the AM mode on their equipment.
Actually Kenwood (and only for several of their 70's transceivers) and
Yaesu included the AM mode for most of their HF transceivers on most of
their rigs over the past 35 years. Icom was the late comer in adding AM
into their rigs. They introduced their first HF SSB/CW rig into the U.S.
marketplace around 1970 or 71. I don't think they started adding the AM
mode to their rigs until the late 80's or early 90's. The U. S.
manufactures remaining during this time frame were generally a mixed bag
of offerings, but most moving just to SSB. Ten-Tec didn't include AM for
the longest time and Elecraft, with their new K3, now offers AM. Adding
AM, and probably currently undefined modes, to the new DSP class of
transceivers is probably just a few lines of code to the firmware.

The mode never left most of the rigs; amateurs left the mode.

Pete, wa2cwa