[AMRadio] Conditioner

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Sep 1 15:19:32 EDT 2007

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions thus far.  The
story goes, I have a WRL VFO that uses a flat sided rubber
wheel to drive another which drives a big bakelite wheel on
the variable cap.  Needless to say one of the rubber wheels
has a flat spot on it and, more than anything, it is just
plain irritating.  In years past I worked for radio station
that used the venerable Gates turntables with the geared
capstan that drove the table.  When left in gear, the
capstan would quickly develop a flat spot and the station
engineer (most times me) would remove the capstan and soak
it in a substance that would penetrate and allow the
Neoprene to resume its round shape.  That is the kind of
problem I have with this Neoprene wheel.

So putting on my thinking cap, I remembered that
transmission treatment fluid contains a treatment for the
Neoprene seals in transmissions.  But, being afraid that the
other stuff in it might ruin the rubber, I opted to ask this
assemblage to see if  the substance Ronnie mentioned is
still available.  I am going to try Jim Candala's
suggestion, Belt and Drive Non-Slip, first.  If it doesn't
work, I am in for a trip to the auto parts store and hope
the kind I decide to buy really does work.

73

Jim/W5JO