Fw: [AMRadio] Conditioner

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 09:18:10 EDT 2007

On 9/1/07, Mike Sawyer <w3slk at hughes.net> wrote:

> Hmmm, Joe, I thought it was Fedron. When I worked at Wyle labs, we used it
> to recondition the platens on the dot matrix and daisy wheel printers.
> Mod-U-Lator,
> Mike(y)
> W3SLK

I'd be surprised if this stuff is still available as it was on some
EPA short list to oblivion back in '96 when I last used it. Very nasty
stuff. Does work well, but IIRC, it works by basically removing a
layer of rubber to expose 'new' rubber beneath. Something to keep in
mind with respect to life expectancy of the part.

It worked quite well for cleaning up the platens in the IBM Selectric
typewriters, too. I recall getting dizzy from unintentional exposure
while using the stuff, so ditto on the ventilation warning.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ