[AMRadio] Link Coupling

Geoff/W5OMR geoffw5omr at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 12:01:01 EDT 2007

--- Rick Brashear <rickbras at airmail.net> wrote:

> Have I gone completely zonkers or what!  Please,
> verify for me that when using link coupling the
> maximum coupling is achieved when the movable coil
> and the two stationary coils are all lined up
> vertically.  I am reading an
> old article on this and it states the opposite.  I
> am assuming it's a
> mistake by the author.  What say ye, have I finally
> gone over the edge?

If you've got two stationary coils, and you pass a
link between them, maximum coupling will occur when
the link is directly centered between the two coils,
in the same plane as the two coils.  This is the case
in a 'swinging link' where the link moves into/out of
the field of RF.

In the case of a BC-610 type coil, where the coil is
stationary, yet rotates on an axis between the two
stationary coils, maximum coupling will occur when the
turns on the link are paralleled with the turns on the
coil.

There's no confusion about coupling.  The magnetic
lines of flux prove that, daily.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR