[AMRadio] Internet issues over Holiday weekend

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 18:18:17 EDT 2007

rbethman wrote:

> However, I do NOT believe that the DNS, Name Servers, were hacked -
> NOR do I believe that it was a DOS, (Denial Of Service), issue.  It
> appeared that a "High" level DNServer was having either a "hiccup", or
> some significant "zone Transfers" didn't happen, take effect, or were
> corrupted.
>
> I've run DNS for a system with 131 sites throughout the country.  I
> was also one of six Sysadmins/Mail Admins that handles the "backbone"
> servers for some very strategic systems.
>
> It was a bit "strange" in its occurrence.
>
> It did finally clear up and ALL is well.

What's odd about it, to me, is that I downloaded and installed updates
for my Linux system, and when the config script did it's thing, I had no
contact with the outside world, except through numerical ip addressing.
names weren't resolving.

Turns out, in my case, that 'named' and 'bind' were acting 'strange'.

So, I killed the named.pid, stopped bind and named service, restarted
named (which restarted bind) and I was back to seeing the outside world,
again.

Now that you've said that there was a DNS problem, Bob(s), I wonder if
my update hiccup shared any commonality with whichever other high-level
dns server that hiccuped?

Regardless, mail is flowing again.

Brian, are arrl.net addresses still being bounced?

--
73