[AMRadio] Re: Link coupling

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Sep 5 19:32:24 EDT 2007

> This brings up a thought I've had about link coupled tuners, of which I
> use.
>
> Of course I feed the 50 ohm coax to the link.  The center to one side
> of the link and the shield (ground) to the other.  What effect does
> the "link position" have on a tuner?  I suspect the link position
> (mine is rotatable) would affect the matching impedance to the coax?
>
> 73
> Brian / wa5am
 If you have a variable link on the antenna tuner coil, there will be one
and only one critical degree of coupling that will give a perfect matching
impedance to the coax (assuming that impedance match is within the range of
the tuner).  Increasing the coupling will make the coax  see  too  low an
impedance, and decreasing the coupling will make the load impedance too
high.