[AMRadio] Johnson Valiant Crystal Control Question

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 18:07:57 EDT 2007

w0ng at comcast.net wrote:
> After all these years I should know this but the answer presently escapes me. In order to operate a Valiant I transmitter on AM using crystals instead of the VFO, what actual frequencies would the rocks for 75, 40, 20, 15 & 10 meters actually be cut for?
>
> Are they all fundamental frequencies or are some cut for the 2nd and 3rd harmonics? I'd like to have some on hand to transmit on, for example, 3885, 3880, 3875, 7290, 14286, etc. Any advice with specific examples would be appreciated. Thanks & 73, Bill, w0ng

You can use 160m rocks for 80m.  IE: 1.940 becomes 3.880, and you can
even double 80m rocks.  Color burst xtals @ 3.579xxxx become 7.160
(thereabouts).

40m rocks (like 7.100) become 14.2, 21.3, 28.4Mc.

I would imagine that 14.5 would become 29, but then again, so would
7.250Mc. :-)

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,