[AMRadio] Audio Warble?

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Thu Sep 13 01:13:08 EDT 2007

I listened to your audio clip.  It really sounds to me like all your FX
units are fighting each other to some degree.  Example:  I can tell you
have a fair amount of de-essing set on your VX2000, you also have a good
amount of high-mid and high EQ set on your PEQ-2200.  This in itself
creates a small amount of compression in those frequency ranges as they
oppose each other in the different units.  This also muddies up the
sound as one unit tries to cancel the effects of the other.  The
complete opposite of what you wanted to achieve, no doubt.  Then there's
the matter of the EX-3200 AND the Alesis Compressor.  They pretty much
duplicate the stages included in your mic processor.

I've been a broadcast engineer for more than half my life and I've set
up a lot of audio processing for production studios, FM transmitters,
and AM transmitters.  The best way to set ANY processing is one step at
a time.  Follow the manufacturer's suggested starting points.  I'm
actually a Behringer fan and have used quite a bit of Behringer
equipment.  Most everyone that bad-mouths Behringer does it out of
ignorance.  They haven't read the book.  Behringer stuff will do an
outstanding job for you IF you read the book first.  They made the
stuff, they can sure tell you how to make it work.  Same goes with
anybody else's products.  See what they say and then experiment on your
own from there.

So, follow the book's recommendations for basic setup and then spend a
while fine-tuning each parameter.  When you are satisfied with your mic
proc, sparingly add one of the other units and play with it for a
while.  I'm betting you won't be able to improve things much over what
you get with your mic proc since it is an "all-in-one" processor.  The
"warble" you mentioned is introduced early on in the mic proc.  If you
follow the book's recommendations and still get no satisfaction, yank it
out altogether and use just your mixer and your compressor by
themselves.  It may be that the mic proc has a problem.  Whatever you
do, resist the urge to cascade the two sides of your stereo units.
Also, the surround proc setting will be of no use since you're not
processing a stereo signal.  It will introduce some funky junk you won't
like.

Add stages only if they produce a desirable result.  Otherwise leave
them out altogether.  Less IS more.  Really!  Let us know what you discover.

Best Regards,
Stevan A. White, W5SAW
SW Commercial Electronics
928 South Crockett Street
Amarillo, Texas 79102
Phone 806-681-7228
w5saw at pathwayz.com

"Our five senses are incomplete without the sixth -- a sense of humor."
-- Source Unknown