[AMRadio] Transmitting Mica F2 -vs- G2 types

A.R.S. - WA5AM ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:01:47 EDT 2007

I am getting ready to convert my Gates BC-1T to 75 and 160 and need
some opinions on the loading cap.  The 1T uses fixed capacitance and a
variable inductor for loading.  I need about 750 pF for the loading
cap on 75 meters.  The original loading caps (two in parallel) are G2
micas at 8000 vdc, however they are both 1500 pF.  I have a type F2B
that is 800 pF at 6000 vdc, that would be close enough, but I'm afraid
it may not handle the current.  The F2 is a much smaller unit than the
G2's that are in there now.  Anyone have any opinions on what the F2
can handle?  Being on a higher freq. than original design I think the
6KV rating might be okay, but I'm still concerned with the current
rating of the F2 as opposed to the type G2.

Nebraska Surplus has what I'm looking for, but they want $175 for it.

Thanks,
Brian / wa5am

--
"Money is only temporary, but radios are forever" - Jim Little aka
"the old dog"/K5BAI