[AMRadio] Audio Warble?

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 05:05:17 EDT 2007

Bow wrote:

> Hey Geoff,
>
> I actually have this set up for SSB, but wanted to give AM a shot. I never
> had this problem on SSB.
>
> I would love to chat on 75M, but with my 40 watts (Icom IC-718 wide open on
> AM) and no amplifier (the amp sets the house alarm off in PANIC mode), you
> probably wouldn't even hear me.

Everyone says that, but ol' Lee/KC5BPT in Sargent, Texas, does a damn
fine job with his 25w from a single 807, modulated by a pair of 5881's.

Ronnie/K5WLT does an awesome job with his single 807 Knight Kit T-50 and
home brewed 6'Bell'6 modulator (one of the 6L6's is slightly
microphonic.  He can slightly rap on the side of the tube, and the metal
shield around the tube 'resonates' to a perfect 'bell' tone.)

Darrell/WA5VGO has worked the country on his home-brewed 25 ~ 30 watt rig.

Everyone seems to be missing the boat... it's not in the amplifier
that's gonna make you heard, or not...

Antenna is the key to being heard and hearing.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR