[AMRadio] Can You Believe It? Johnson 500 / Collins 30K

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 15 12:28:29 EDT 2007

Very true Wayne,

But as I've been told numerous times in the past few months, the days of the
cheapo "for the asking" old rigs seem to be going away.  Oh well.  Still,
the 30K1 is a prewar rig, and they are rare (as Jack mentioned).  $3400 for
a 500 Viking seems over the top.  Part of the higher prices could be Baby
Boomer nostalgia.  For Boomers, the rigs they remember seeing a lot of  when
they were new hams, were rigs of this nature.  They were what was lusted
for.  I mean no offense when I say this, BTW.  For me as a Gen Xer, it would
be stuff from the 70s & 80s.  I STILL regret getting rid of my Drake R4B &
T4XC  in late 1992, and I STILL wonder whatever posessed me to get rid of
the Drake TR7 I had, after only having it for a short time in 1993.   All 3
rigs are considered to be fantastic radios, that command high prices.  But,
back then they were just old gear to me.  I paid only $140 for the Johnson
Viking Ranger I briefly had back in 1995 (no thanks to living in an area
with Channel 2 TV [and marginal reception at that], I went QRT on AM at the
time).  Nowadays, you're doing good if you get one for $250 or $300.  Once
again, oh well.

73,
Ellen - AF9J