[AMRadio] AM vs. broadband line noise

Michael Mertes fnerks1 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 14:53:32 EDT 2007

It occured to me that I have too much line noise here.
I am not shy about transmitting with my low power AM
setup, but I'm not going to do that if I can't hear
anything. I've had this problem for just over a year,
so it is something I will have to chase down soon
enough, but I just don't have the time right now.

So I have a question for the group; since I have never
really pursued AM seriously before. It is this: How
does line noise affect AM as opposed to SSB. It seems
as though I have much better reception with SSB on the
same bands and can work SSB; where AM is just wiped
out. One point certainly is the wide bandwidth and
less signal/noise on AM, but that doesn't seem to be
the whole of it. Does anyone have an educated guess,
or is it just my observation only?

Thanks,

Mike/KZ5M