[AMRadio] Receivers

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Sep 18 22:10:57 EDT 2007

I have had a bunch over the last 25 years or so,
most of the popular ones, tube and transistor, plus
various transceivers.

Most have at least some good points.

The R390 series with outboard audio are very good
on AM, with if output, muting built in, good bandwidth
choices, accurate frequency readout, good stability.
They can be a bear to repair, and you don't want to hop
between 160 and 10 meters often!

The NC 300 and 303 are good.

For top fidelity, some of the real old receivers work
great, the SX17, SX28, Scott SLRM, low tube count, low noise,
wide bandwidth, and loads of HI FI audio output power.

Everyone has a favorite receiver.

I personally dislike almost all of the new IC chip based receivers,
and the ones with dsp, although the new K3 sounds like it might be great on
AM with its sync detector, low noise low distortion setup, built in 8 band
eq, line outputs, etc.
I will post a review when mine arrives.

The modern stuff I have had and my personal rating of it...

kenwood R1000, poor,
kenwood ts440, poor,
icom 735, poor, but the passband tuning worked on AM at least,
icom 756 pro, poor,
sony 2010, poor with the built in speaker, maybe better otherwise,

The only receivers I have had for a while are the homebrew
tube type single conversion ones I built a few years ago.

Brett
N2DTS