[AMRadio] Receivers

joe at tronixland.com joe at tronixland.com
Tue Sep 18 22:27:50 EDT 2007

I'm currently using a Collins R-388 and it does an nice job. I also have
recently used my Collins 75A2 and it's good as well. I prefer the older
Collins line without the mechanical filters. These radios were designed for
AM service. The Collins 75A4 and R-390 are acceptable for AM if they have
the 6 kc filters. I have a Collins R-390A with 2, 4, and 8 kc filters. The 4
kc filter is to narrow and the 8 kc is normally to wide under most
conditions. It still lacks a natural AM sound in my opinion so it's on the
shelf. A real sleeper is the National NC-300. A very solid and fantastic
sounding AM receiver. I have one and will use it when I fix a problem.

Enjoy AM! Joe, KF9EU