[AMRadio] Receivers

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:41:36 EDT 2007

Kim Elmore wrote:
> Much of the traffic here concerns transmitters. References to
> receivers seem relatively sparse in comparison. With that subjective
> impression as an opening, what sort of receivers are in use in the AM
> community?

I have (3) Hallicrafter R-274's here, Kim and an (on loan) RCA AR-88.

I've thumbed a 75A-4, HQ-145, HQ-180, SX-28 a couple of Nationals and
several various solid-state devices.

I like the SX-28, the AR-88 and R-274's as 1, 2 and 3.

It's hard to beat push-pull audio in a receiver, though.

A good working SX-28 has more sensitivity.  The AR-88 is -hot- as well..
I guess those two are a tie.  The R-274's are plenty sensitive and, like
the AR-88, receive in a very b-r-o-a-d mode, but they just don't have
the 'depth' of sound that the -28 and the -88 have.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR