D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Sep 19 01:54:36 EDT 2007

>From: "Rick Brashear" <rickbras at airmail.net>
>
>Well, the problem with an RC circuit is it applies to the start up as well
>as the release and I need instantaneous start up or maybe I'm thing wrong.
>
>Rick

A lot will depend on the resistance of the relay coil.

You might try putting a  capacitor in series with a  resistor, and then put
the whole thing in parallel across the relay coil.

When you switch on the control voltage,  current from the control voltage
source will divide into two branches. Some of  the current will immediately
flow through the relay coil to turn on the relay.  The rest of the current
will flow through the resistor to charge the capacitor.  But the resistor
will limit the current surge to the capacitor, thus preventing the capacitor
from pulling down the control voltage enough to delay the relay at start up.
When you switch off the control voltage, the capacitor will discharge
through the series resistor and relay coil.  With the appropriate value of
resistance, the discharge current should be enough to hold the relay for a
split second after the control voltage is removed.

First, try the circuit without the series resistor, and see if you can find
a capacitor in the junkbox that produces somewhat more than sufficient delay
in the release time.  Now add just enough series resistance to avoid pulling
down the control voltage when it is first applied.  The relay will close
instantly, but there will be a  delay upon opening as the capacitor
discharges.

I sent you an e-mail with attachment for the article I wrote in ER a couple
of years ago regarding a sequencing circuit I designed.  It is more complex
than what I described above. I still use it in my station to contral the T/R
function.  I didn't post the attachment here, because most e-mail reflectors
won't accept attachments.

Don, k4kyv