[AMRadio] Receivers

Frank J. Mercurio w9fm at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 19 09:56:52 EDT 2007

Jack,

your comment about the Zenith reminded me of the first receiver I used
as a newly licensed ham in 1957.  It was an RCA model 8K console that I
pulled the chassis out of and set on the desk. I fabricated a Masonite
front panel and added a bfo and a Heath QF-1 q multiplier!  Next, in
1958 or so I "graduated" to a Heath AR-2! After that, I used a home
brewed rx!

Presently, we have the following:  R390A, 75A4, 51J4, Racal RA6790/GM,
Sylvania R1414/URR, BC348, and an HRO-500!

That old RCA was fun to work with ... finding a choke to sub for the
speaker voice coil,  replacing that wet electrolytic can that sprayed
its guts out one time in the middle of a qso ... ah! the memories!

73, Frank W9FM (on AM)