[AMRadio] Receivers

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:43:24 EDT 2007

John Coleman wrote:
> 	Nobody here mentioned using a home brewed receiver or an HF to BC
> converter even.  I know that Chuck in Midland TX is using a totally HB
> receiver, and a very fine one at that, with lots of modern features.
>
> 	The Best receiver I ever used was a car radio from a 1955 dodge.  It
> was the radio that had the separate vibropack and audio output section from
> the main receiver.  I did not use the audio output and power supply but
> instead built a power supply and audio section on a rack chassis and then
> mounted the radio in the front panel of the rack chassis. Also built into
> the rack chassis was an 80/40 mtr converter and a BFO with adjustable
> insertion.  At the time it was a fantastic RCVR.  I have often though of
> doing it again with more modern additions.

Well, I mentioned your PLL circuit in the Altoids can, for synchronous
detection and incorporating that into the HQ-145.
Pretty cool, to listen to the side-band power without the phase-shift
and selective fading typical on an AM signal that rises and falls with QSB.

What I DIDN'T mention was the mobile receiver that Otis built, when he
came to San Antonio, in his 'Good-Times Van' (that he never had a good
time in) to visit Koby/K5MZH(sk). It was/is a converter rig, that used
1400kc from the AM broadcast receiver in the van.

Seems I recall, he built the thing up in 3 or 4 days, and then
remembered "Oh, yeah - Koby's on SideBand, now" and as an after thought
built up a product detector.  He had 80, 40 and 10m in the little rig
that was no bigger than a cigar box.

John, was that the same project where Otis was on his knees with an Ohm
meter, measuring resistors, looking for a 39k (I think)?
(Otis is color blind, y'all)

Poor Otis... had been checking a pile of resistors for a couple of
hours, looking for the right Ohmage he needed with his Simpson, and John
walked in the door, saw Otis on his knees and said "What -ARE- you
doing?"  Otis says "I'm looking for a (_fill_in_the_blank_) ohm
resistor!"  John took a diddle stick from his pocket protector and
fished through the pile of resistors, and in about 45 seconds had about
a half-dozen pushed over to one side.  Otis said "Do you have any idea
how long I've been down here on my knees checking each resistor?  And
then you come along and bam, there's 6 of 'em!"

Ah, the good times!   ;-)

Wonder where that receiver is now, John?

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR