[AMRadio] Receivers

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 19 12:45:14 EDT 2007

This was going to be my next question; How might I use a modern rx with a boatanchor tx? I'll have to look at my Orion II Manual again...

What a fabulous list of Golden Age receivers! Hat's off to all of you who keep them going!

With some luck, at some point somewhere down the road, I'll get my Dad's (W5JHJ) Globe Champ 350, HQ-170A and HQ-110. He's now a Silent Key (in QST this month -- I guess I'll keep that one) and was the original owner of all of these, along with a NC4L-blessed FT-102 (NC4L took it from a miserable piece of junk to a fabulous rig). They are all currently tied up in a very nasty probate, thanks mainly to a career deadbeat brother-in-law and my sister to idolizes his work ethic. But enough of that...

Last time we checked, they all worked. Dad had kept them in working order, though I don't know how well they work. I know them all well, so
I'm not queasy about rummaging about inside and fixing what needs to be fixed. I think the Globe is in the best shape, followed probably by the
'170A. The '110 was always used as a gc rx -- I tried using it once as a primary rx for CW when the '170A needed some work. I found it totally
inadequate. Maybe I'm spoiled, but it drifted, tuned waaaaay too fast, was microphonic, and didn't have sufficient selectivity. It was much
better for 'phone and seemed fine for SWLing.

Both the '170A and the '110 have muting lines, and Dad has an appropriate relay set up to mute the rx when the tx is keyed. I know that's all still there, so when the time comes, shaking the dust out should be pretty straightforward. I'll look to see if my Orion has a muting line (or anything similar).

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP