[AMRadio] Receivers

tchesek at epix.net tchesek at epix.net
Wed Sep 19 13:09:53 EDT 2007

First let me say that I'm a Heathkit fan and run a DX-100. Due to wanting to primarily use Heathkit products I paired the RX-1 Mohawk as my receiver of choice for AM. Many will tell you it has technical deficiencies but it matches my DX-100 with respect to band coverage. They both cover 160-10 meters where as the physically matching transmitter for the RX-1 is the TX-1 but the TX-1 does not cover 160, which is strange. The biggest fault of the RX-1 is it's drift but on AM which it is a lot less bothersome than on SSB. For about 2 hours the radio drifts frequency quite a bit. With AM you can drift a fair amount and still read the signal but with SSB your hand is always on the dial trying to keep Donald Duck out of your radio. There is a process detailed in a series of articles in ER Magazine on how to minimize the drift but it's too much of a bother for me. I guess it's like driving a Studebaker...you do it because you want to.

73,
Tom K3TVC