[AMRadio] receiver survey

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:54:20 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Geoff/W5OMR <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > SX-73     Very, very nice

> NICE receiver, though!

That's one of the few receivers I still look forward to having one
day. For a while, folks referred to them as 'rare', which they are
not. They're not as common as, say...the SX-28 or any number of other
examples, but they aren't hard to find unless you're looking for $25
examples.

What they are is well-built and, as a result, a bit on the pricey
side. Well worth it, IMO. I think they're the best Halli receiver,
even above the SX-88. But alas, the collectors disagree....good for
them, better for the users!

The most interesting note is that the SX-73 and SP-600 both came about
from the same contract, and share the same basic nomenclature. Until
you look under the hood.

I wonder how many folks have or have used the Hallicrafters R-649?
It's a Coast Guard/Treasury Dept receiver covering LF-18mcs or so.
Looks like a left-handed SX-73 with light gray paint. Last I knew,
maybe 8-10 had been accounted for. I've got two here, a 649 and later
A model. Gave the 649 to W3JN, so it's leaving soon.

Steel panel, steel cabinet, steel chassis. H-E-A-V-Y! AC/DC receiver
too, with P/P audio!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ