[AMRadio] receiver survey

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:02:05 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07, EP Swynar <gswynar at durham.net> wrote:

> Hey, now THERE'S a good spin on this thread: personal opinions re. what's
> wrong with "classic" rigs, per  first-hand experience. If anyone wants me to
> start with my stable, I'd be more than happy to do so! Hi Hi

Indeed! The later SX-28A tried to address some of the cap issues with
removable sub-chassis which helps, but not a lot. Back in the day, it
probably saved some time if a bad cap ended up on that particular
board. Today you're still yanking the bandswitch shaft and getting in
up to your elbows.

Probably the biggest thing wrong with older gear today is the
inability of folks to understand and work on them properly. We've
become too much of an instant gratification society. Not that some of
those old rigs won't drive ya nuts, fast.

Ever tried to set up the filters in the Racal RA-17 Ed? Heh heh
heh.....if THAT doesn't drive ya ta drink....!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ