[AMRadio] "What's Wrong With Our Vintage Rceivers?" (Formerly: "AM

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Sep 19 16:11:47 EDT 2007

"...Hey, now THERE'S a good spin on this thread: personal opinions re.
what's wrong with "classic" rigs, per  first-hand experience. If anyone
wants me to start with my stable, I'd be more than happy to do so! Hi Hi"

***************************

Oh what the heck, I'll start this thing off...it might even help to dispel a
myth, or two, about some of these old boat anchors that we collectively may
have been harbouring for far too long!

Here goes:

-RCA AR-88: FAR too heavy to lug around any place (100 pounds!),
"guesstimate" frequency read-out, no bandspread as such, leaky filter chokes
/ bathtub capacitors, seemingly takes FOREVER to get from one end of a band
to the other.

-HALLICRAFTERS S-77A: AC / DC design can easily zap you, "guesstimate"
frequency read-out, terrible images / poor stability / poor sensitivity
above 14-MHz, barn door wide selectivity.

-HEATHKIT SB-301: Does NOT include 160-meters, NEVER fool with that pinch
roller dial (you'll either bust it, or otherwise never get it right again),
seems to require re-alignment / touch-ups far more often than other
receivers.

I won't include the "one off" homebrew stuff that I have here, 'cause nobody
would be interested anyway...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ