[AMRadio] NC-183D Alignment questions help

Van K7VS wa7fab at cdsnet.net
Wed Sep 26 01:03:51 EDT 2007

I have a pristine NC-183D I picked up a year ago that I am finally getting
around to.  Have replaced all the electrolytics and sound really good.
BUT...I cannot get it to track properly as I follow the alignment
instructions in the manual.  I can set the top frequency on each band with a
small trimmer cap (this is the oscillator coil adjustment) but then
according to the instruction manual you adjust the low end of the dial by
moving a wire inside an inductor, which does move the lower frequency but
not nearly enough to get to the frequency they say you should see.  Has
anyone else had that problem during alignment of this receiver, or am I
missing something.  Have checked the voltages at the first and second
converter and they seem fine and have pulled off the mica cap across one of
the oscillator coils  (1.8 to 5 Mhz) and it checked just fine (supposed to
be 1600 pf and reads 1615 pf).  And have substituted a different 6BE6 in the
first converter and still can't get close to proper or accurate dial
tracking.  I am 500+ Khz off no matter what I have tried.  And thoughts on
this one!  Thanks.  Van, K7VS

PS  I would like to hear from NC-183D owners that may have experienced this
problem or have some thoughts about what I am seeing.  tnx