[AMRadio] NC-183D Alignment questions help

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Sep 26 09:50:17 EDT 2007

Van this is a problem with the 183D.  I suspect the heat generated in
the closed cabinet has an effect on the inductance of the coils.  They
are made of what looks like cardboard dipped in varnish and I had a
couple of the IF transformers that were warped to actually bind the
slugs enough that when I tried to move them the screw pulled out of the
core.

If the inductance of the oscillator coils has changed then it is a real
problem.  Do be sure the trimmer caps are on the correct side of the
curve as Larry mentions.   It is difficult, but as you tune through the
peak, on one side the increase will be a bit slower than the other side
of the peak.  It will rise slowly then fall rapidly or the reverse.  You
want on the slow side and not past it.

I managed to get mine fairly close by cleaning the contacts of the
tuning capacitor and on a couple of the oscillator coils the wire is at
very maximum inductance, but the dial is close.  Good luck and have fun.
Great receiver when is works properly.

73

Jim/W5JO