[AMRadio] WA3QIK - "SEYMOUR"

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 19:37:33 EDT 2007

Wow - I just saw a recent 2007 episode of "The Simpsons" on
TV and it involved ham radio, of all things! My XYL says
it is a re-run, so maybe someone else already watched this one.

Springfields's own Seymour Skinner is heard signing on
the air as WA3QIK and talking DX to Homer who is under
the sea hunting treasure (!) Clever of them to know that the
callsign WA3QIK does not exist.

Neither qrz.com not wm7d.net search engines were able to find
any hams named Seymour Skinner.

Strangely also, the ending of the show has Homer in
hospital inviting his father to dinner (which is delivered
through a "feeding tube."  Homer says "send up two hams!"
This is seems semi-cryptic after the radio skit. He then yells
out - "Hey! This one's cold!" and stuffs it back through
the tube.

TUBES, HAM.... is someone trying to subtly tell us they
know about these things?  It WAS cool seeing a couple of cartoon
HF transceivers appearing on a prime time TV show!

Hams, the quintessential NERDS of this world, as depicted
on evening TV with the inept old Principal Skinner as our
representative.... tsk tsk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Skinner