[AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 10:09:43 EDT 2007

Ellen Rugowski wrote:

> How good is an S-42?
> Ellen - AF9J

I guess it depends on what you want the thing to do.  An S-40B (the 42
was a no-no on my part - sorry), best I can recall, doesn't have a
product detector on it.  so, SSB would be out of the question.
Broadcast band and some stronger shortwave stations, for SWL'ing...
yeah, I'd say it's cool for a table-top, or bed-side receiver, but I'm
not sure I'd use one for communications.

*I THINK* that the Hallicrafter S line pre-dates the SX line (to the
best of my recollection) meaning that the S-40B has seniority on the SX-28.

OR...

it could be that the X in SX means it's 'x-tra' good. ;-)

I'm not familiar with the lineage of Hallicrafter receivers.  Never
really cared, to tell the truth.  I always left that up to the
collectors.  All I want is something that works.  Period.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR