[AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 29 10:24:56 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <ars.w5omr at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Hallicrafter S-42

> I guess it depends on what you want the thing to do.  An S-40B (the 42
> was a no-no on my part - sorry), best I can recall, doesn't have a
> product detector on it.  so, SSB would be out of the question.
> Broadcast band and some stronger shortwave stations, for SWL'ing...
> yeah, I'd say it's cool for a table-top, or bed-side receiver, but I'm
> not sure I'd use one for communications.
>
> *I THINK* that the Hallicrafter S line pre-dates the SX line (to the
> best of my recollection) meaning that the S-40B has seniority on the
SX-28.

> OR...
>
> it could be that the X in SX means it's 'x-tra' good. ;-)
>
> I'm not familiar with the lineage of Hallicrafter receivers.  Never
> really cared, to tell the truth.  I always left that up to the
> collectors.  All I want is something that works.  Period.

In the beginning, the S-line was before the SX line, but when the SX line
came out, the S line was also made concurrently.  In Hallicrafters
nomenclature, the X in SX,means that the unit has crystal filters in it.
For instance, I have an SX-96.  It has crystal IF filters for bandwidths
from 5 kc, down to 500 cycles.  The S-85 for instance, has none of these
filters, and is intended more for General Coverage use.  Externally both the
SX-96, and the S-85 receivers are similar.

73,
Ellen - AF9J